Summary and Resources
Do your best to prevent plagiarism by discussing the Dean of Student’s handout with your students and covering appropriate citation techniques. When you do suspect plagiarism, consult your faculty instructor to develop a plan of action, which may include attempting to locate the source of plagiarized material, meeting with the student, and possibly referring them to the Dean of Students.
Resources for Dealing with Plagiarism
- “Don’t Get Busted” on Bruin Success with Less Stress
- Office Dean of Students “Information for Faculty”
- Preventing and Recognizing Plagiarism (UCLA Graduate Writing Center)
- turnitin.com, an online plagiarism prevention web application (ask your faculty instructor).
Additional reading for Dealing with Plagiarism
- Mark Edmundson, “How Teachers Can Stop Cheaters,” New York Times Op-Ed (Sept. 9, 2003)